February 22, 2009

Beginning recovery

Well, 10 days into this stinking ordeal and I'm finally beginning to recover somewhat. I'm still very, very tired and any energy I get goes away quickly. But the time has come to pick up the pieces and move on. I have work to do tomorrow.

I changed the colors around here a little bit. What do you think? Oh, that's right, I've still got comments turned off, sorry. I'll turn them back on after my next half-marathon.

The Oscars are tonight. When I was a kid, this was a big deal; big night at our house. In college, it was even more interesting because I was able to see a lot of the movies being talked about and I had friends who would have different opinions of movies than I, rather than the cultish, small-town mindset of everybody agreeing as if they all subscribed to the hive mind that I experienced in high school. Come to think of it, I didn't have many friends in high school.

Well, things have changed again. I don't see many movies these days, only those that really seem to have some chance at being a lasting memory, rather than a mere moment's escapism. (Escapism is what Battlestar Galactica and House are for.) So, of course, I'm hoping that those few movies I manage to see will have some place in the Oscar pantheon, thereby affirming my ability to bring culture, education, and wisdom to my choice of how I spend my small entertainment budget. So let's hear it for Wall-E and Dark Knight.

Fact is, this will be the first time since grad school that I'll have actually watched the Oscars. The economy may be in the tank, but this was a GOOD year for film, of all kinds, from all parts of the globe. There were important films. There were watershed films.

Of course, right after the Heath Ledger tribute, I may just change the channel to a House re-run and read about all the awards tomorrow. I'm crass like that.