May 15, 2007

Bermuda run #2

I went out a bit too hard. Realize that for me, "too hard" means a 9 minute mile. :/ Still, with the wind at my back and my feet appreciating the Adrenaline 7's again, I had a good first mile. Then the goodness ended and I was back to the old run-walk-run thing. I went a smidgen shorter than the first run here in Bermuda, but it was still about three miles, I think, and I went in a different direction at the far end of the out-and-back.

Coming back was a real bitch. The air was dryer and for some reason, my lungs were having a harder time. My legs, too, were tired, probably from standing and walking in dress shoes all day. Still, it was a decent run and it was nice to see other runners out on the same stretch of sidewalk. I haven't done two days in a row in such a long time.

The sidewalks here are very narrow, usually with only room for two people and often only room enough for one. That's if there even is a sidewalk; many of the roads are bordered simply by high walls. I've noticed many runners in the street and the small cars, mini-buses, and scooters seem to avoid them just fine. Still, I think I'll stick to sidewalks for now, as the reverse direction of traffic still confuses me at intersections and that's enough of a handicap.

There are restrictions on engine sizes here, which explains the uniform small scale of motor transportation and cute little engine noises they all make. In fact, Sunday was the very first time anything over the limit was allowed - a tour group came off a cruise ship with their regularly sized motorcycle (heavyweight category: 600cc and up) for a quick tour of the island. The event made the front page of the paper.

I found out from one of the guys I'm teaching that gas price is skyhigh here. What we pay for a gallon in the US, they pay PER LITER. It costs this guy over a hundred dollars to fill his small tank. That explains the overwhelming numbers of scooters and single-cylinder motorcycles here - can't afford to get around any other way. In fact, there are so many scooters, they outnumber four-wheeled vehicles and much of the available parking is striped for and reserved for scooters. And the people here dress pretty nice, leading to a common riding costume of 3/4 or full-face helmet, puffy nylon jacket, no gloves, khakis or slacks (jeans are rare), and dress shoes. When I commute on my Sportster in NY, I am in the minority on a medium-sized engine bike. Here, I would be in the majority, but on an oversized (and illegal) bike.

Will try to get some pictures on my next run, which I'll do Wednesday. Going to take today off and maybe just go do some light weights this evening.

No comments: