June 21, 2006

NYC HALF-Marathon entry

I signed up for the brand-new NYC Half-Marathon today, after several tries spread out over several hours. I had assumed all the hype about "hurry up and sign up; registration begins at noon!; hurryhurry!" was BS, that they'll get a tricle of registrants at first and that the list will fill out closer to August. I may be wrong. The NYRR servers were swamped for a good six hours and I only just now was able to get on and complete registration.

Somehow, I'm more stoked about this half-marathon than the full marathon three months later. Of course, this half will be a good benchmark as to how training is going. But I also feel that the half is really "my race", that it's the distance I'm good at, or could be good at, and I'm disappointed that I've been out of town for two of the last three NYRR half-marathons (after completely blowing the first one in Janurary) and will have to miss the Bronx half, too. Only the Staten Island half remains as one of the Grand Prix I could still run.

Of course, here I signed up on a day that was not running-productive. I did a bicycle ride and called it a workout. Got a lot of other stuff done, though. Hope to put in 3 miles before work tomorrow. Will probably do the 5K in Prospect Park Tuesday and need to sign up for the Manhattan Mile and Mets Run to Home Plate.

3 comments:

LeahC said...

i am so jealous. I want to run this race so bad, but jason is working another ridiculous midnight-8am shift that weekend and then we are off for a vacation...maybe next year though. have fun!

Lora said...

Oh boy...you put a little bug under me....I am planning on visiting my Mom in August--I sure could make the visit the end of the month! hmmmm......

Morrissey said...

I GOT INTO THIS RACE TOO!!! 60 bucks though...a bit steep eh? But honestly - it is totally worth for the experience...running through times square and hopefully nice NIKE drifit shirts, shorts and ummmm sneakers. :)