April 1, 2006

chatter

Seems like a lot of chatter going around about magnesium deficiency. It was mentioned on the Dawn & Drew Show podcast; mentioned again by a listener who notes that magnesium is given to cows to help calm them down or keep them from being ornery (PMS-reliever I guess), and it has popped up on the CF-list as a real problem for Cystics, as many of our meds deplete us of Mg, which in turn results in Ca depletion, which can lead to damage to our hearing and other things. Our antibiotics, especially Tobramycin and Gentamycin are known for thei ototoxicity. A high-fat diet like we're supposed to eat also depletes Mg. But I stick strictly to an ultra-low-fat diet, since I don't want to deal with the digestive issues. And my hearing is fine. Connection?

Well, all the more reason for me to consider buying Hammer Nutrition's Premium Insurance Caps. Now, I don't buy into the whole health-nut thing and I definitely don't get taking enormous amounts of suplements when it seems to me a balanced diet gives you all the nutrition you need. But my doctors have me on a multi-vitamin by their orders as well as extra Vitamin E. The Premium Insurance caps have all of what I currently take, plus a little extra. A whole lot of extra Magnesium, too. It's expensive, at $30 a month, but I'm willing to try it for a month and see if my health is easier to maintain, if I can keep my energy up, if recovering after hard workouts is easier, etc.

I'm glad I took the day off from exercise; my legs are rather tender on the outside of my thighs down near my knees, gotta let them recover.

Yesterday while in the bike shop I won't go back to, I saw a bike that looked really good and I thought it was a floor model, it was so new. I was curious and hefted it, testing its weight. This thing was two pounds, maybe three max. I couldn't believe it. I then discovered the bike had an owner and I apologized for handling it, explaining I thought it was a floor model. He said he'd got it the day before. Anyway, this bike was super lightweight and is similar to a track racer or one of the bikes I've seen bike-messengers use. He said the frame is aluminum; that accounts for the light weight. Of course, it helps that the bike wasn't burdened by all the useless gee-gaws one finds on other street bikes -- like shifters, for instance. Or gears. Or brakes. In fact, this bike was nothing more than two wheels, a frame, a seat, handlebars, two cogs, a chain, and a crank. The pedals were the heaviest part of the bike! Very very slick. I'll stick with my heavy-ass 12-speed, though, as there's nothing like a hundredth of a ton of steel to help you plow through rush-hour Canal street traffic!

finally - and please realize this entry is mostly just notes to myself while I'm between worthy entries - I've decided my new running shoes, the 992's, don't fit. They're just too big. It's been several weeks and I've tightened the laces twice and my heels still slip and the orthotics fit too loosely. I'm going to have to see if I can sell these on Craig's list and recover some of the cost towards a smaller pair of 992's. They're still in great shape, nearly new, so surely somebody will want them.

1 comment:

Rebel said...

Would that be a certain Brooklyn bike shop along 5th avenue? If so, I hate that place. I avoid going there at all costs.