November 27, 2005

I am solar-powered

You ever had one of those mornings where the sun is shining in the window and you wake up despite having the opportunity to sleep in? Well, that was my morning. I could have slept all day, if I'd wanted, but I was wide awake by eight. Didn't actually get out of bed until nine or so.

I took my time getting ready for a run; doing the full pre-run routine, including therapy, stretching, and foam rolling. Meant to get out at noon, but didn't make it out the door 'til 1:30. Email has a way of slowing me down.

It was getting overcast by the time I got out the door, but the sun peeked through the clouds now and then. I have noticed before that when the sun is shining, I do a lot better in general than when the weather is cloudy. The sun going down doesn't count. Today was no different and it proved to be an uneven run.

I did the 6.8 mile loop and never quite got my lungs to cooperate. I had to stop and walk a minute perhaps four times total. I was never able to reduce my stress and put my breathing in a 2-out, 4-in mode, no matter how slow I ran. And I was way too often going into a 2-out, 2-in breathing pattern. I wore my old pair of 991s, as the new pair seems to result in a sore left ball of my foot and a "broken toes" feeling. Don't know why. But the old pair is too small with the orthotics. Guess I'd rather put up with bloody toes than lingering pain.

Knees held up, though the right one has the telltale signs of runner's knee. After the run, I did the full stretching and foam-rolling and did TKEs as well. I am amazed how much strength I've lost. I have to get the right ankle weights and get back on the TKEs and hamstring curls. I'll feel right as rain in short order.

After that, I needed groceries, so I put in a couple miles on the bike. This has me to thinking about biathlons and such. I need a lot of practice on the bike and I need a different seatpost, so I can adjust my seat better. I find if I scoot back on the seat, I can get more power into the pedals more comfortably...but then I just slide forward on the seat again. Also, the toe clips suck. maybe I should take them off completely. And helmets....? My current one is ten years old - probably well past the styrofoam's usable life-span.

No comments: