November 24, 2005

Charleston Turkey Trot

Ran a 5K turkey trot this morning in the old district of Charleston. It started at some square where there's a lot of shopping, went to the Battery, then turned around and came back down Market street to finish. Lots of runners; a couple of thousand I guess. Pretty crowded, unorganized start; no numbers to line up at, which made for a very slow first mile.

Not a bad run altogether. Felt strong the whole way and finished in about 27:30. The course was flat, of course, as there isn't more than 14" of elevation change in the whole area. Nice to see some of the places I passed on the horse-drawn tour yesterday. I'd like to spend some more time on foot seeing some of the historic houses, courthouses, and churches.

I remember about a mile from the finish that today is exactly one year from my first organized race, a 5M turkey trot in Prospect Park! I ran that one in 11 m/m and today's in perhaps a 9 m/m. Felt good to cap off a year of running with a simple turkey trot.

No comments: