February 19, 2005

11 Miles - An Odd, Full-Course Meal

I did indeed do three runs in a row last week, and have now concluded that may have gotten me into the overtraining realm. But no matter.

Today's run was 11 miles. I found it hard to be enthused about the run before it; and remain unenthusiastic now, even though this is the longest I've run at once. It was a difficult run, though not disastrous. I'm chalking it up to lack of proper hydration, not enough stretching beforehand, my asthma kicking in, and overtraining during the previous week.

That said, there were many positive things: the day was bright and sunny; the sidewalks and park loop were clear of almost all debris of any kind; traffic didn't enter the picture; it was 30 degrees, rather than 8; and I had no doubt that I'd finish the run.

The mile up to the park was pleasant enough, though I decided against picking up a Gatorade on the way up -- that was probably a mistake. Once in the park, however, I began to have pain in my feet. I had to stop several times in the first three miles to stretch again. I never did hit my stride. I think my shoes were tied too tight initially, then too loose later. More lessons learned. My asthma also kicked in, despite my careful pre-run routine, and so my jogging was slow. I had to walk twice on uphills. Doesn't matter though -- the walking was short and I finished the run!

I did come up with an interesting new visualization: that of a full-course meal. The appetizer was the run up to the park...a little difficult, but not unusual; something that has to be worked at, but ultimately pleasant. This seemed to be a bowl of edamame. I'd already decided to run the necessary three laps of the park in alternating directions - run the second lap counterclockwise. So the first lap in the normal direction really seemed to be a nice soup course -- though it turned out to be lentil soup in this case, which I hate. It wasn't bad, just not pleasant and with bits I don't like at all. Choked it down though and continued on to the main course.

Running the second lap going the other way, I didn't know what to expect. Several times, I jumped onto the dirt path to avoid runners coming my way. The whole experience seemed very much like a good hearty stew: fairly easy to do (its definitely the easier direction to run the park!) and the last portion, coming up the hill, was easily-consumed meat and potatoes lying in the bottom of the bowl.

Then I turned around again and proceeded to have desert. This desert lap turned out to be red bean ice cream -- pleasant, mild, predictable, but with a grittiness that makes it not my first choice usually. Funny how this run started and ended on Japanese foods, but with "incompatible" courses in between. An odd feast, sure... but it makes sense in running terms.

So here I sit, with ice packs on my ankles and under my left tendon, which is very sore and maybe a little swollen. I have decided to go into town to Union Square, see if I can pick up the makings for some sushi for tonight's dinner and if Paragon is still open, check out their line of stopwatches and running gear. These longer runs require hydration, which is easy if I carry a small bottle, but I don't think that's enough hydration for something with Cystic Fibrosis, so I'm going to look at the runner's belts they have. This is my reward for having completed my most difficult run since that terrible 7-miler a month ago.

No comments: