February 26, 2005

An "off" week

This week was terrible. After the trouble I had during the 11 mile run, I took two days off and went running Tuesday. That run was the worst I've ever had. After a fine job up to the park - no surprises there - the pain started to set in. Ankles, knees, hips, everywhere. By the time I got to the other end of the park, I was in so much distress I walked most of the rest of the way. Five miles total, but about three of them walking. I was very unhappy about it.

Last night, after work, I took three ibuprofen, carefully stretch out indoors and again a bit outside and went for four miles. While not as easy as they should have been, I did manage to finish them with no walking. My lungs are somewhat distressed lately and I don't know if its over-training, a new infection, a reaction to all the changes I'm putting my body through, or what. The joint pain I think was simply forestalled by the ibuprofen, as I did get a familiar warm ache for a while, but not the kind that makes me stop. That went away and my legs and feet performed well. I think it helped that I adjusted the laces of my shoes to be a little looser overall and allow my feet to move a bit within the shoe.

I have a theory that I've gained several pounds over the last three months and that recently those pounds have suprised my joints -- that my joints have to catch up and get more robust in order to keep pounding out the miles.

Twelve miles tomorrow. If I can access a locker at NYRR, I'll go to Central Park for them. I'd like to do that so I can take pictures of the Gates afterwards.

No comments: