May 24, 2008

A tale of two runs

May 21, 2008




Pretty good run. Went out after work. Intended to do 4.5 miles, but a new runner joined S and I. The new one, L, has not run in a very, very long time. Given that, I thought he did a great job knocking out three miles. He was working pretty hard and so was right beside me the whole time, with S a dozen yards ahead of us setting the pace. (This is inadvertant...he's simply in better condition than L or I and is a better runner naturally.) Still, I let S pull me along and we achieved good mile times. I did call a halt at the turnaround point for stretching. I needed the stretch, and L needed the breather - I'm guessing S needed neither. Our splits (discounting the 2 and 1/2 minute pause for stretching) were 9:54, 9:40, and 9:17 - pretty damn good for me. Keep this up, and I will increase my overall times. Like I said, L did a great job given that the wind was blowing hard and runs alongside traffic are always a challenge.

May 24, 2008




With my lazy ass unable to get out and run Friday, I put in a good long run today. I have been looking at the Galloway method, mostly as a way of appeasing my own critical nature with "programmed" walking. So this run, I set out with the intention of walking a tenth of a mile every mile. This worked well. I took only one unscheduled walk break (in mile two - always the most difficult for me) and had a really good pace in the last three miles.

I'm hoping to get into the NYC Half Marathon and with an eye on that event, I'll continue to increase long run mileage using the Galloway method. We'll see if I can actually reduce my half-marthon time down to a more-acceptable 2:10.

No comments: