May 17, 2006

I am cookin' with gas



Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome run. After putting off the run I'd intended to do this morning (I'm having a CF day), I did the run this evening after work. Really felt strong the whole way, even given a break at the Harley dealership to get some part numbers and a few short walk breaks. It felt like it had the rhythm of an interval workout, though I've never done one of those. Anyway, I ran a fast paced workout 5.5 miles, even tackled the big hill in Prospect Park with focus and intensity.

of course, just as I think I'm all kinds of wonderful and getting into the rhythm of the slap-slap-slap of my feet up the hill, I begin hearing slap-slap-thump-slap-slap-thump, then slap-thump-slap-thump, and to my utter disbelief got passed by another runner headed uphill who went by me like I was standing still! And I wasn't...I was running faster up that hill than I've run any hills in the last few months. That was a little humbling. But I continue on up and finished the hill with a enough "go" to finish the run strongly.

I really have to plan more runs that end on a long downhill; what a great way to round out the last half mile or so.

Anyway, no pain in the legs, feet, shoulders, back, or joints. No stomach distress. Didn't even really warm up; just RAN. Any distress or strain I was feeling was the good kind, the kind that signals real training is going on, that I'll feel this run tomorrow for sure, but that today - TODAY at least - I was strong, I was in good form, I was a real runner.

The shoes still feel a little loose in the heels and stiff in the soles, but they're beginning to break in, at long last. And no bleeding today! (A little dry heaves, tho.) So that's all good.

I feel very satisfied by this run and - yes, Beast - despite my current passle of job-related tensions, I am very very relaxed right now.

No comments: