November 1, 2005

Rundown: Recoveries and Tapers

There are marathons, and then there are marathons - those that are on the radar of even the most ignorant non-runner. This week, we focus on two of those: The incredible Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. and, of course, the Big Daddy in the Big Apple - the NY Marathon.

Several bloggers put their shoes on and got all leatherneck in the streets of our nation's capital for the 30th annual Marine Corps Marathon. Uptown Girl Elyssa, a member of the Reservoir Dogs, had the right attitude going into the race: "I must admit my mental toughness for this race was sky high...there was no way I was going to bonk on this...nothing was going to stop me from 'sub 4'. haha." Her mile-by-mile description is fantastic and will make you want to run the MCM next year! She finished fabulously and has every right to crow about it: "Did I really just run a 3:45 marathon??? I cross the finish line and the feeling was just immense. I didn't cry this year but it just was astonishment. I really was in disbelief that I did it. I know many of my friends will say "not surprised" but it's just so different to rock a marathon as opposed to shorter races. I had set a 21 minute PR from last year's NYCM. Well I rocked, dismantled, and anihilated the Marine Corps Marathon!!!!"

Bexgirl, a member of Jeanne's entourage, jumped in to provide motivation and makes notes on the many many Iraq vets who ran, walked, or hobbled the course. Also, congrats to Lisa, who nearly qualified for Boston (and will in Houston!), Erica who finished despite hitting the wall early at mile 15, and Ken, who ran what I think is his first marathon for his friend Julie. He turned in a remarkable 3:33:48!

And then there is the NY Marathon which - though the same 26.2 all the others are - remains in non-runners' consciousness as the Big One. And it IS big! Though overshadowed by Boston for long-time runners, the NY Marathon is the novice's holy grail. And it's perhaps the only marathon that could be said to be several races spread out over a period of months: the sponsored long training runs in Central Park lead in, then the Marathon really kicks off with the Kickoff 5-miler, which NYFlyGirl ran brilliantly as a first come-back race after burning out on racing earlier. JC also ran the Kickoff and is so happy with how it turned out she's on a permanent runner's high.

Then, of course, there's the Friendship Run at the UN, which yours truly will be a marshall for, and the expo, where you can meet Pere Pujol, a member of the International Medical Marathon Directors Association, which meets every year the day before the NY Marathon and is this year concentrating on hyponutremia. And come Sunday: Marathon!

Right now, 44,000 runners are in their taper for this event - and the nervousness, jitters, excitement, and mono-mania are everywhere apparent. Danny, in his unending fretting over his splits and his feet, still sticks to his training schedule and ran 8 last Sunday. Don't worry Dan - you're going to be fine! One man just RAN a marathon using what he calls a "new-age training technique and a month long taper". And now he's going to run NY this weekend! His biggest worry is his dried-out blister; no doubt he'll do fine. Perhaps Treads Space put it best: "The NY marathon is one week from today and I must say I'm a ball of nerves.  Chris and I went for a run in Central Park yesterday and they already have the bleachers set up and the signs hung around the park.  It was pretty cool to finish my run yesterday right where I will on marathon day...knowing I'll be right there after 26.2 was a pretty cool feeling."

Good luck and good legs to all the runners; the blogging community will be anxiously awaiting your after-marathon posts!

9 comments:

JC said...

Well well... seems a fellow blogging runner. Thanks for the reference to my site. But... the elusive JC is a girl, not a guy. But yes, the 5 miler rocked. The high continues. Good luck on your marathon endeavors!! YOU GO!

Bridges Runner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridges Runner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridges Runner said...

Great rundown. Thanks for the mention within the rundown...it really was an exciting few hours for me:) Goodluck with your running endeavors and have fun this weekend!

nyflygirl said...

nice job on the rundown and thanks for the mention of me and my comeback race...that race was a nice boost of confidence after injury and burnout.

have fun volunteering this week and on sunday!! it looks like it's gonna be perfect...spectating weather :-)

E said...

Thanks for the mention (and not laughing). :)

Rhea said...

Hey, thanks for the mention as well. Hopefully Jeanne will post some photos of the Marine Corps Marathon as well. As for moi, I'm running a little 'ol 10K this Sunday - the Veteran's Day 10k. And it looks like we'll have beautiful fall weather.

Cris said...

y'all are very welcome.

jeanne said...

Hey, thanks for the mention! I post a mile-by-agonizing mile of my experience, here:
http://runmomrun.blogspot.com
/2005/11/real-recap-part-two.html

With photos! Thanks Bex!