February 2, 2005

Like Night and Day!

My last two runs could not have been more different.

Sunday, I was supposed to do seven miles and intended to do eight. But I had a terrible terrible run -- couldn't breath, body hurt, nothing was cooperating and I wound up running maybe three miles, walking the other four. Really, I was pretty down afterwards.

I'm thinking now that I'm forgetting to use some of the mental techniques in the book, particularly the "it doesn't matter" trick. This isn't to say it was all mental; I really felt like crap, like I was right back at square one in my running and hadn't gained any ground at all. I think I had stretched properly after my last couple of runs, didn't stretch enough before the run, didn't take any ibuprofen... I mean, it really sucked.

I tried to let it go as I did my run yesterday, which was only three miles. I headed out not to the park, but on a flatter route that takes me in grungy street territory. It also takes me over the Gowanus Canal a couple of times and it was interesting to see that parts of it were frozen over, but not other parts.

The run turned out to be remarkably good! Probably one of the best I've had so far, even if it was only three miles. But I pounded out those miles at a good pace, kept it up for 35 minutes, and the blocks feel away beneath my feet much faster than I remember them going before. I was actually surprised, at one point, how far out I was already.

So tomorrow's run -- five miles -- I think I will again make absolutely sure I stretch out well, take Advil beforehand, and spend the first mile or mile and a half out in the streets over the Gowanus, THEN head up hill and do one loop of the park.

No comments: