December 3, 2013

40 days, part I

Pulmonary Rehab Day 40. I am no Moses, and these people are not the Israelites.

As I was leaving rehab today, I looked over the space, filled with a fairly large crowd of people, all doing their thing; going through those motions that they will have to go through indefinitely. Some are pre-transplant, some are post, but they'll all be in rehab until released, renewed, or dead. There is definitely a "wandering in the desert" feel to it sometimes. I wish I could work a miracle and lead all of these people out of there and into the sunlight without need of oxygen, g-tubes, or walkers.

The number 40 has a prominent place in the bible. It rained for 40 days and nights. And Noah waited another 40 to open the ark. Moses was on the mountain for 40 days before coming down with the commandments. Goliath terrorized the Israelites for 40 days before David took care of business. Jesus fasted 40 days in the wilderness. Etc. And also, the Israelites wandered 40 years in the desert before entering the promised land w/out recrimination.

I do not know the Bible well, nor do I particularly study religion. I just find the theme interesting: that after 40 days, something good often comes to those who have been patient.

Today was my 40th session of pulmonary rehab. Do I dare hope for a call tonight? Is this the night Duke's David slays CF's Goliath? Alas, I have no more hope of it this night than I had last night, or will have tomorrow night. Indeed, I have evidence my wait may be a great while longer.

No comments: