April 4, 2010

Bunny Hop

Oh, what a difference a day makes.

If the Turkey Trot is the gateway to the winter running season, then surely the Bunny Hop, the Easter run, is the throwing open of the doors of the summer running season. In honor of the masses hitting the streets - and in deference to my own health - I went out for another run today. Been a long time since I ran two days in a row.



It wasn't a long run, but it was of significantly better quality than yesterday's. The weather was a major change and I can't tell if it helped or hurt. I wasn't cold, there wasn't any wind to speak of. On the other hand, I was overheating in mid-70s temperatures. In the middle of the first mile, I peeled my shirt off and that felt really, really good. (It's probably a good thing I didn't plan to go long, as I would have sunburned quickly, I think. My tan from last year is so gone that the paint manufacturers are using my belly as "reference white".)

After the first mile, instead of simply turning around, I trotted over another block, consciously extending my run; maybe making up a little for yesterday's shortage. I stopped quickly to buy a water. The look of bemusement and horror the other bodega patrons had as this sweaty, smelly, unshaven, shirtless, ugly, arm-wrapped runner stepped into the store and frantically looked for water was priceless. (Arm-wrapped: I keep my PICC line site and tubing concealed underneath a cut-off sock cuff at these times.)

The trot home was better than the trot out, since most of it was downhill, but I still had to take several walking breaks. I was not only trying to catch my breath, but also trying to take in some water. After my iPhone announced I'd crossed the two-mile mark, I strove to keep my legs moving and put in a good finish and almost managed a 10 minute pace for the last third of a mile.

After the run, I had to hook up immediately to meropenem to stay on schedule. When this is done, I need to take a quick shower to get the salt off, then go pick up laundry and some groceries. Got to finish grading midterms tonight and prepare for tomorrow's classes. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for me.

No comments: