June 29, 2009

I'm an idiot

One mile today; torture; awful. Got up too late, ran too late; no energy. We'll call it a rest day.

Here's the problem: I haven't been sleeping well lately. I'll go to bed about 11 p.m., aiming to get up at 7 or 8. This is a good plan, except that I get the jimmy legs (and sometimes arms) right away and so I toss and turn half the night. About 3 or 4 in the morning, I'll get up and take some Advil, which seems to suppress these unwanted nerve impulses and finally get to some sleep. Of course, I'm then too tired to get up when I'm supposed to, so I sleep in - and that's not helping me get out the door.

I've had this problem briefly and intermittently since I was a teenager, but for the last three weeks, it's been something I could bet on. So why am I an idiot? Because I haven't taken the Advil before bed. I think I'll try that tonight.*

I'm also bumping my indomethicin to twice a day because the gout, while not sever, is nearly constant. I'm just fine while running and exercising - or even wearing shoes at any time - but as soon as I'm barefoot or in slippers or taking off/putting on shoes, it hits. This, too, makes sleep difficult.

*Yes, I know there's drugs for restless leg syndrome. I am unwilling a) to diagnose myself with that and b) to take yet another pill. Advil does just fine.
---



Something neat: I get a quarterly MetRx "magazine", which is essentially a multiple-page advertisement for its products. It barely escapes the label "brochure" by the addition of several actual articles of interest. As an on-again, off-again writer for a couple of publications, even I know how cheap it is to send someone to a race to interview an elite athlete for a few minutes (who is already a paid endorser for the company) and take their picture. If inclusion of some non-advertising content in the sales tool makes it literature enough to need a masthead, then who am I to argue? The current issue is fun. Great photography, easy to read, great advice for beginners on a variety of sports - all aimed to keep you buying the product, of course. But one thing jumped right out at me: a quote by Jay Hewitt, an Ironman, who lives in the same town as my bro and sis.

"Jay on living with diabetes: You have to make the bad thing that happens to you the best thing that ever happened to you. Diabetes is difficult, but it motivates me to be healthy and reach the finish line. It makes me want to prove that I am stronger than it is, no matter how bad I feel--even if I have to crawl across that line. You have to earn your finish line, and you do that not on race day, but every day when no one is watching you."

THIS. So much THIS.

No comments: