May 10, 2006

testing, testing...is this thing on?

Short & sweet little test run tonight. I haven't run since Saturday's nice 5-miler and have been feeling pretty lazy, even though my days have been filled: job interviews, work, meetings, and other similar activities.

(Batting 1000, incidentally, as I'm taking on two tutoring clients, giving a lecture at the Apple Store in June, beginning work for a public-works lighting architect who's doing a short-time-frame project in Seattle, AND... the guys from Resolve Software Solutions will be giving me a phone interview Friday. yay me.)

So, anyway, here I am for the last three days, my legs are all sorts of minor pain and I have no idea what's going on. I'm constantly tired and am coming down with a cold. But I spent like 45 minutes today stretching out my IT band and calves and wanted to see if my 992's were feeling any better.

I haven't run at night since last summer; I'd forgotten what a magical quality it can have and tonight's 1.5 mile run through the warehouse district along the waterfront showed me just how empty the city can be. (I know, I know...empty is dangerous...but I did see a police car cruising around, and any people in the area were just late-shift workers.) This is why I love Brooklyn and my neighborhood in particular. It gets quiet. I ran a few new blocks; inspecting how close I could get to the water. Pretty neat, as most of the warehouse-area streets are still brick-paved and have embedded railroad tracks, long out of use. And the streets are CLEAN. Like, almost Fort Hamilton clean.

The run itself was strong and pleasant. My lungs felt good, my legs - surprise! - felt great. No pain anywhere except where the tongue of my left shoe rubs the top of my foot. If that's my worst problem, then I'm doing fine! I could have run longer I suppose, but dinner calls and I really only got out to warm up the muscles: I spent another half hour stretching my hamstrings, calves, IT band, etc. Like Danny, I was surprised at how strong I can be once I get going and do believe I have time enough before the marathon for some speed training before I start building up the truly long miles.

Intermediate goals first: Healthy Kidney in a week and a half, NY Half-Marathon (or Staten Island Half) a little down the road. Marathon in November. Somewhere in there, find a pool and learn to swim; figure out why bicycling and running seem mutually exclusive for my legs.

I'm not sure if the e-caps multi-vitamins are for me. My pee isn't AS flourescent yellow as it was, but can it be that too much vitamins makes your legs hurt? I've started drinking a helping of Slim Fast in additionto my regular breakfast (trying to up the calories) and that alone has plenty of nutrients.... I'm thinking too much again, aren't I?

No comments: