April 21, 2006

celebrity priviledge

First, read this: Armstrong to Run NY Marathon.

Now here's my two cents:

Why does he get to run the marathon THIS year? Has he previously run a guaranteed-entry-qualifying time in another marathon? Has he entered the lottery the previous three years and didn't get picked? Has he suddenly switched nationalities and is coming as a foreigner with a tour group? Has he run nine qualifying races and maintained NYRR membership for two years?? NO??? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Is he a celebrity and so he gets to run if he feels like it? YES.

And that's the long and short of it. I guess the rest of us who have worked for two years to get to run this race next year don't matter, because we're not celebrities. Note that Mr. Armstrong uses the term "we". Just like P. Diddy, he'll have a coterie running with him, for security if nothing else. How many runners will that total? How many lottery entries FEWER will NYRR be choosing because of that?

Do we need Lance's celebrity to stay alive as a race? Do we need his face for publicity? NO! People the world over know what and where the NY Marathon is. And we're full. Every year we get three times as many entry applications as can be accomodated on race day.

I better hear that Lance donated a hefty chunk of change to the NYRR Foundation for Kids, or something, or else I'm totally going to lose it. And if I see him on the course - especially if I'm passing him (ha!) - I'll turn around and yell, "SUCK IT LANCE!"

1 comment:

Lora said...

Yell it loud!! I'll be right next to you belting it out too!! If only I could get into the race!