January 7, 2006

i am stuffed up

head cold. doc calls it an "upper respiratory infection", but I think it's just a head cold. It's beginning to move down, though. I wonder how long it will take to get over this?

I took two nasal decongestant tabs this morning. Did nothing. By mid-afternoon, I left the house to go to the drugstore, as well as get some errands done on 96th street. Goddamn subways; always running on strange routes on the weekend. Took me 90 minutes to get where I was going. Finally got some Dayquil in me and a small coffee (with caffeine!) and half an hour later started feeling noticeably better, though still have the runny nose and such. This could really make my run tomorrow quite difficult and it may, in fact, be inadvisable to do a long run. Exhausting oneself when already sick can make things worse. On the other hand, running while high on Dayquil, caffeine, and fresh albuterol can make for a fantastic run.

The irony of all this is that I just last week got the flu shot and just Thursday took my last Levaquin.

I don't usually post on off days unless I'm catching up on the journaling, but I'm posting today because I was found by this guy, BayCityWalker. Turns out he has severe asthma, the life-threatening kind, and that he took up technical walking (betwen recent hospitalizations) as a way of fighting it. [81 hospitalizations and counting!] He's already walked half-marathons and has in mind doing a 50K someday. (Which, by the way, is 31 miles - a distance that begins the genus of distances known as ultramarathoning.) This guy has balls. He linked to my blog and left me a note. On his blog's intro, he very plantively asks where all of us are, the ones with lung disease?

We're out there, buddy, just few and far between.

And the reason I post this here, fellow bloggers, is in hopes that you'll visit his blog and leave him a note of encouragement. I think I may have to create a subset of the Running Blog Family, called the Wheezing Blog Family or something...

No comments: