November 10, 2005

hard, blustery run

Did about five miles today. Meant to do a full 6.8 loop or even go for 10, but it just turned out to be one of those hard mid-week runs that pretty much suck every step of the way.

Sometime on the last run, I hurt my toes a bit in the new shoes. Don't know what's going on down there, but they feel bruised, though they don't look it. That little injury didn't stop me today, but it did slow me down. So did some aches in right knee, left ITB and hip... all in all, an ACHEY run.

It was also getting cold. My boiler is on the fritz, so I had to wait until my landlord arrived to take a look at it. Then I got going on the run. Despite 60 degrees (and dropping), it felt far colder since the wind was up and very blustery. It just made the run that much harder. I took several short walking breaks but didn't feel like I'd earned them. And though I did take the cutoff in the park and not go around the bottom of the lake (the first time I've ever cut the lake out of the loop), I did make it in one shot on the shortened park loop, including the big hill and upper park. I even made it down to my old abode. However, after stopping to pick up an eight-inch pile of mail that was waiting for me, and sorting out the junk, my plan to jog home was cut. My body had simply had enough running for the day. After a short subway ride and several walk block to my apartment, I felt tired, achy, like I have the flu or something. Which reminds me, haven't got the flu shot yet.

Anyway, found the boiler on the blink again. Got it started enough to warm up enough water for a shower. I'm going to go dress in some fluffy warm clothes now and post a note to my neighbors about when to take a shower (tonight) and what's up with the boiler. Then I might just go see a movie - been a long time since I treated myself to one.

No comments: