September 24, 2005

recovering from injury - good long run

Okay. So Monday's run put me out of commission for four days. I skipped Wednesday and Friday's workouts, but I think in some strange way resting up and concentrating on stretching for the week helped me out at the Fifth Avenue Mile (see other post).

Today I did 8.5 of the planned eleven. I warmed up for a mile headed uptown, did the Fifth Avenue Mile (astounding run!), and did the Central Park Loop.

I brought along my iPod Nano, which was a recent purchase because THAT is the player I've absolutely been waiting for. The little guy performs magnificently and is easy to manipulate on the go. I like being able to see what I'm playing and have control over playlists, something not possible with the Shuffle. And the OEM armband works quite well, too. I brought some cheap earbuds and they stayed put, especially once I'd knotted my cord in half and pinned it to my shirt at one corner of my racing number. I didn't listen to the music during the race, but I did listen the rest of the time. I really need to rethink some of my running music choices, and need to separate the list out into three lists: warmup, run, cooldown.

Anyway, the warmup jog up to 80th street was not without drama. At one point, after watching a cabbie consciously DECIDE to run a light to get his precious left-hand turn in, I pounded on his hood as I went by. He practically hopped out of his car though his window - or at least half of him - and started cursing me out. Fuck him. I yelled right back about the red light he'd run. I didn't stop, so it wasn't a very long argument.

The park loop was lovely today. I relaxed into a good rhythm and let my legs take me around. I walked briefly to hydrate a couple of times, but other than that, a good run. I could tell by the end, however, that I was right in consciously deciding to not go the full 11 miles today. Didn't want to court more injurty.

My shower today felt like a sweet, sweet reward. Healthcare done right, and all that.

BTW, upon arriving at home, I met my upstairs neighbor, Mark, and he inquired about the running, since I was wearing the race t-shirt. We got to chatting and it turns out that not only does he WORK for NYRR (with the kids' outreach programs), but he has also ALREADY QUALIFIED for Boston! He looked a little worried there and said something about plantar fasciitus. I asked him if he knew about the golf ball trick. He didn't...so I described how I rolled the golf ball under my foot to treat my own bout of plantar fasciitus while training for the marathon. I hope he gives it a shot. Could be something as simple as that will get him back in his running shoes. Maybe we could run together some time.

1 comment:

jogTunes.com said...

Regarding running music, I have developed a website called jogTunes.com where I list tunes and playlists for music-paced running. Songs can be sorted by beats-per-minute, genre, and artist. Playlists are organized as you suggest: warmup, run, cooldown. Admittedly, they are short runs (about 30 min) but one could easily add songs from the Tunes list to make longer lists or mix and match your own lists. Links are provided to the iTunes Music Store. Please check it out and send me some comments and suggestions. You can post a response at my blog or email me at jogTunes@jogutunes.com.

Enjoy the music,
Bob