August 20, 2005

Short a mile. Huh.

OK, this entry is two reports in one.

First, Friday's run came about mid-day, after I finally had a PT appointment, for the first time in four weeks. My legs felt better than they have in a week when I left SportsCare and Friday's run was pretty good. I did my standard five-mile run up to Prospect Park, around the loop, then home. It wasn't bad. I wasn't running at the pace I would have liked, but I have to keep reminding myself that five miles is not three. Pace must change. I wonder if I'd had more energy if I'd taken some HEED instead of water?

Today's run was the weekly "long" run and I took it up to six miles, or intended to. Since I didn't go into Manhattan and do the Central Park loop, I figured I'd try the external circle of Prospect Park. The Prospect Park website claims that the Prospect regular loop, inside the park, is 3.35 miles and that's all I've ever run. It also states that running the sidewalks AROUND the park's fences is 3.75. Unfortuantely, I didn't realize this 'til I got home... I thought the distance was closer to five. Well.... I guess I got in a longish five miler. I've always figured my regular five mile loop at about 5 1/4 miles, since it's a mile up to my regular park entrance. So maybe I did five and a half today.

It wasn't easy, though. Though the temperature is down, the humidity is up and it felt like I had asthma going on the entire time. In fact, between that and some achy muscles, I walked a few blocks of the run.

Running the outside of the park makes the hills easier. It's just one long downslope, across, then one long - but gentler - upslope, and aross again. And - bonus - the sidewalks are clean, wide, and level. Well, next week I'll do a seven or eight mile long run, partly dependent on humidity. I've got to start getting the long runs up into the ten mile range!

Found this: "You might be a runner if..." on the Prospect Park Track Club's website. Very funny.

1 comment:

Danny said...

Been searching through some running blogs lately, and enjoyed yours.

I was born in Brooklyn, live in the Bronx, but love to run in Manhattan. We've probably passed each other on the loop in Central Park. (Maybe one day you'll ask me what my name is as we pass each other!)

Good luck with your knees. I feel your pain...