August 10, 2005

hill workout wanna come kill me holy jeebus

up down up down up down up down. And I'm not talking about my feet. I'm talking about the quality of my runs. Two runs ago, down. Last run, really up. This run, down. Not BAD mind you, but certainly not the stellar run of Monday evening.

up down up down. This was my workout for the day. A bit pressed for time, I put off a five-miler in favor of a four-mile hill workout. Two complete laps up to the 15th street Prospect Park entrance and back equals four miles.

The hill up to Prospect Park is quite a workout. I often use it as my warm-up jog so that I'm really moving once I get to the park, but it is a good routine on its own. And the body needs some retraining on hill running, that's for sure. Not only are uphills a heart-pounding session, but the downhill runs provide opportunity to focus on form, control, and proper downhill running without injury. Downhills are a lot of people's weakness, me included.

Fortunately, there's enough lateral distance across the hill to make for some running rests, which are very helpful in reducing the strain of a hill workout.

So; it was a hard one today, mostly because of the route, but also because my lungs were at perhaps B+ level and little pains were springing up, none I couldn't ignore or that jeopardized the plan. It was pleasant, though, to see how many people were out enjoying the sunshine on this mid-80's day.

One thing that I should change: I took a bottle of water with me, but I probably should have mixed in some HEED with it. I need the electrolytes, of course, but I also had a hard time absorbing the water by itself. I'm such a dummy some days.

After the run, on the train into town, I listened to one of the Running Injury Free podcasts, this one about warming up and why its necessary. Perhaps I should add a little more warmup into my routine and not be so afire to get to the running each time.

No comments: