August 14, 2005

5 miles post-rainstorm

What a sweet fuckin' run.

I most emphatically did NOT want to run today. I had a lazy Sunday, avoiding the sweltering heat outside and praying that the heat might break near dark, as if I wanted to stick to schedule. I was sorely tempted to just say fuck it and put in the five miles tomorrow morning instead.

But I'd spent the last couple hours doing all my stretching and TKE's and foam roller. So when the thunderstorm hit, I looked on the web and figured the rain wouldn't last and maybe it would be cooler afterward. So I put down HEED and powergoop and waited half an hour.

When I set out, the trees were still dripping. The temperature had managed to drop to just above 80, but the humidity was as near 100 as I've yet run in. Unbelievably, I set out on a good pace, uphill. I ran my standard 5.3 mile loop up to the park, around, and back home, all at a really amazing (for me) clip. I actually passed two of the other three runners in the park, though there was one I couldn't catch. It's not that I was trying, exactly, it just happened. And I say this is unbelievable, because if I hadn't DONE it, I don't think I could have predicted it. The humidity was just too much and I was not as motivated tonight as I like to be.

But dark has a way of helping me to run faster and perhaps the thought of getting home for a good meal and the Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson motivated me. All I know is, despite the heat and humidity, I had a great run. Solid, steady, continuous, even pleasant.

I like my route, too. It's like coming back to an old friend. There aren't any surprises, but it's got varied enough terrain to keep the boredom off, not to mention that it ends with a "dessert mile," or rather half a mile, of easy downhill.

Shower felt good. Food tastes good. Icepacks feels good. Sleep's gonna be good. Oh, and it's pouring again already.

No comments: