April 14, 2005

fresh start; 5 miles; 8 miles

I did 8 miles today. Actually, 8.75 according to the GPS and probably 9, truthfully. I ran from NYU across to the West Side Highway, up the running path all the way to the 79th street Boat Basin, then down again. Missed the turn at 14th street, cut across on Barrow, or something, got lost, ended up at 6th and Houston and finally got back up to NYU. EXCELLENT RUN!!!

This was truly one of the best runs I've had in some time. While my ankles did twinge a bit, and my front left ligament is griping, nothing is too painful right now, nor during the run. In addition, I finally tested out the Hammer Gel and HEED and was really quite pleased with the result of constant fueling with their products. Only one time did I begin to feel tired, after running into a headwind for 15 minutes, but that soon passed and I was actually able to pick up speed for the last obstacle-dodging mile.

Some things I see on my run: a man in shirt and tie, running pants, carrying a portfolio, jogging up the running path, making better time than me; a rastafarian on an extremely modified bicycle. His position was akin to playing a piano with the keyboard at chin level...his seat was at least 3 feet up, the handlebars at 5 feet or better. Bizarre. Also: boats, lots of them; fighter planes as I passed the Intrepid; a parks department car on the running path; a cop pulling over a sedan that ran a red light; a way way sexy silver convertible, like something out of a teenager's wetdream; a helicopter marked "Forbes Capitalist Tool"; a woman sunbathing topless, and nobody seemed to notice and/or care. What a neat run!

Weather was absolutely perfect running weather; legs felt good; lungs felt good. Good energy.

Back up two days: got out on the road and did my regular five mile loop for the first run in five days. Been nursing that left ligament thing. Finally it felt good enough to abuse again and I had to get out there. Not a bad run, but five miles was certainly the limit for that day!

Missed my "last" long run this past weekend, due to the injury. Will try to make it up Saturday in Prospect Park. 18 miles seems shorter there than elsewhere. I still plan to go race Sunday, though "race" isn't technically correct. Just...take it easy for four miles or something. Get a t-shirt, if nothing else. ;)

No comments: