April 6, 2005

Best/worst 5

Yesterday, I left NYU, where I'm working on a show, and went home for a run. I'd intended to just run 10 laps of Washington Square Park, but it turns out I'd forgotten my shoes and fuel belt. Probably a good thing; as the WSP was packed and it would not have been the quality run I was after.

Got out and did my usual 5-mile loop up to Prospect Park, around, and back. During the first 20 steps, I was thinking, "This is gonna suck!" During the first mile, I was worried that, even in just running pants and one t-shirt, I was already overdressed. It was 60 degrees out and I really felt it! The whole run was spent battling the heat. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but yesterday it hit me with a wallop. I had to run a little slower and had used up both of my hydration bottles in the first three miles. And, unfortunately, I'd chosen the "easy" direction and wound up running up the completely un-shaded south hill late in the run.

Once out of the park, I changed direction and ran over to ninth street and down to the grocery store. During the run downhill, I consciously used it as a chance to stretch my stride just a little bit, for a block or two. At one point, I was trying to dodge a group of little bastards kids and wound up ploughing full-on into one who simply was too wrapped up in himself to give a damn about anybody else trying to use the 8-foot-wide sidewalk. He was chasing some little thing around on the concrete and he turned into my path even as I tried to avoid him. It wasn't bad -- but maybe he'll watch out a little better for the next couple of days? (I'm almost sorry I didn't nail him in the head with my knee.)

I felt good stretching outside the store and then grocery shopping, tipping boxes and bags of my regular foods into my basket, then letting a little old guy with two cartons of ice cream slip into line ahead of me.

In some ways, this was a very bad run. The heat has me worried. I have less than a month to adapt to these temperatures, even though I tend to overdress when its cooler because I know I'll be racing when its warmer. I'd like to be out right now doing 8 miles (It's 71 degrees!), but my feet aren't allowing it. After three days of being on my feet as an electrician, my feet have had it. It didn't help I had to walk part of the way home, when some stupid bitch pulled the emergency cord and the whole F line came to a screeching halt. After 45 minutes, I didn't feel I could wait any longer. I had the pleasure of watching the cops chewing out this lady, who had apparently pulled the cord in order to get the police to complain about somebody.

Anyway...feet: I need to stay off them the rest of today, if possible. I've got ice on them now. This also has me worried. If my feet can't handle this little I'm asking of them, then I'm gonna cripple myself finishing the Flying Pig.

The weather is supposed to stay warm, and even if I have to run in the rain this week, it will be a pleasure. I'll have to put off my long run (my last before the taper) 'til Monday, due to focus and tech, but that doesn't worry me. I'll have literally ALL DAY Monday to run my 18 and they're predicting 55 and sunny. Also, I just got the Hammer products I ordered, so I look forward to trying them out and using a quantity of them to avoid the late-run fatigue I felt last time.

No comments: