April 1, 2005

Running through a movie set

OK, real quick entry, as I let my hair dry before leaving for rehearsal.

Yesterday's run was supposed to be 8 miles, but as I was trying to squeeze it in between rehearsals, I chose Washington Square Park laps. I cut the run short at 5 miles because I was getting very fatigued dodging people -- most of the unaware pedestrians happen to be on cell phones. Yet another reason to hate the goddamn devices!

So today, in place of the scheduled five miles, I went out for eight on my regular route. I was going to do five, considering I'm still pressed for time, but just as I was beginning mile four, I saw another runner had left his sweatshirt and a Gatorade on a railing post on one of the little bridges where there's a pedestrian underpass to the center of the park. I thought that seemed safe enough, so I ditched my hoodie and second bottle of Gatorade and went for another lap - 3 miles. Picked up my sweatshirt and bottle on the second pass and ran down on home. Temperature 53 degrees, humidity 90+%. I could see my breath as I ran! My lungs were not happy.

Found myself for about three miles chasing an older guy ahead of me about 50 yards. Finally, finally caught him on the big hill. He sped up, I think trying to lose me, but quickly slowed to a walk. I just chugged along up the hill and felt very proud that I can do this!

The eeriness of today's run cannot be adequately described. Besides the creepiness of seeing ones breath at 53 degrees, it is a perfectly overcast day, threatening to rain (indeed, we're to receive three to five inches tomorrow) and hence, no shadows. While crocuses are struggling to peak up out of the earth, the rest of the park is shades of brown and grey. It was like running through a space that is comforting, yet malicious; known, yet with an undercurrent of something wrong -- kind of like Bambi as directed by M. Knight Shyamalan.

Finally ordered the Hammer gel and HEED that Derek had recommended. When it comes, we'll see how it is.

Scottish 10K run in Central Park Sunday as part of my 18 miler. Hope to get there early enough to get in six miles before the race so that I only have six miles to finish AFTER the race! Pain still plagues me -- my calf feels like its been beaten with a meat tenderizer

No comments: